PC Doctor May 9, 2011

Have your computer questions answered here! Search the PC Doctor archive or submit a question of your own at info@athollibrary.org

Dear PC Doctor,

I was wondering if there's an easy way to change my resume that is now an Office document to a Word format or do I have to retype it in Word? Most people these days prefer it to be in a Word format. Also I only have it in an email I sent to myself just before my hard drive at home died. Is there any way I can send it to someone from my email?


Dear Paul,

Each program is different so, there really isn't a way to convert one file to the other. I'd suggest copying and pasting the information instead of retyping it. If you click and drag with the left button on your mouse, you can highlight text. After selecting the text you want to copy, right-click on your mouse and select “Copy”.  If you want all the text, hold down the CTRL key and hit the A key.  This will select everything.  In your new document, right-click and then select “Paste” to paste the highlighted text into your new document. You might have to change a few things to make it look like the original but I think it's worth it.

Yes, if the copy of your resume that you emailed to yourself is still up to date, you can easily forward that email to whoever you wish. Just be sure to remove the “FWD” from the subject line and the copied information from the body of the email. I'm sure you know that forwarded emails don't seem very professional.

            PC Doctor


Dear PC Doctor,

I purchased a Kingston 2 GB Data Traveler with the intention of transferring some of my photos to it. I use the Kodak Easy Share program for my pictures. I spent more than two hours this morning trying to figure out how to transfer them without any luck. I used the “help” topic in the Kodak program, but that was no help. There must be an easy way to do this, but I'm not sure what it is. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have so many photos taking up space (3,000) that my computer is really slowing down.


Dear MTM,

You're absolutely right. There is an easy way to transfer pictures from your computer to your USB drive. First, let's access your USB drive. Make sure it's plugged into a USB port on your computer. Then click Start and go to Computer or My Computer (depending on what version of Windows you're running). A new window should appear. Under “Devices with Removable Storage” there should be an option for your Kingston Data Traveler. Double-clicking on it will open up your USB drive. If it looks like an empty folder (meaning there is nothing in there!) don't worry, it just doesn't have anything put on it yet.

Be sure to leave the window for your USB drive open. Next, click Start again and then click Pictures or My Pictures. Your pictures on the computer should be located in this folder. You should now have two windows open on your computer screen. If the pictures or USB drive's window is taking up the whole screen, minimize them by clicking the little box icon next to the “X” icon in the upper right hand corner of each screen. This will shrink your window's size. Once you have both windows open side-by-side, click and drag a picture from the Pictures folder onto your USB drive. Release when the mouse is over your USB drive. The picture will copy itself from your Pictures to your USB drive!

If you have many different folders of pictures, you can also select the whole folder by clicking and dragging the whole thing onto your USB drive. Enjoy!

            PC Doctor

Until next time... happy computing!