POSTPONED! Informational Meeting - Come learn about the proposed Boston College Education Seismology Project (BC-ESP) at the Athol Public Library
Now taking place Thursday, December 1st, 2011 3:30-4:30 p.m.
* MOVED TO: Thursday, December 1, 2011 *
Help us decide whether there is interest in the library sponsorship of this project.
The library has been asked to participate in this project and will receive a professional seismograph to be housed at the library. Programs will be offered.
Marilyn Bibeau from Weston Observatory will present a short program which describes the project and invites students and patrons of all ages into the world of science research through the Boston College Educational Seismology Project. The BC-ESP program works with schools and libraries to improve individuals' understanding of the world around them through seismology and scientific inquiry.
Through this program, the Athol Public Library would receive an educational seismograph. The kinds of programs that would occur for students and the general public are:
- Inquiry based educational learning on seismology and earthquakes, plate tectonics, volcanoes, mountain building and how the forces of nature shape the Earth’s surface.
- Teachers’ professional development programs.
- After-school learning programs.
- Community programs for all ages.
The BS-ESP is geared to accommodate K-12 students and meet MCAS and Frameworks standards. The curriculum also teaches students about various aspects of physics, such as energy, mechanics, and waves, and encourages a culture of scientific inquiry in K-12 schools.