PC Doctor February 22, 2012

Have your computer questions answered here! Search the PC Doctor archive or submit a question of your own at info@athollibrary.org

Dear PC Doctor,

I was wondering if there's an easy way to change my resume that's now an Office document to a Word format or do I have to retype it in Word? Most people these days prefer it to be in a Word format. Also I only have it in an email I sent to myself just before my hard drive at home died. Is there any way I can send it to someone from my email?


Dear Paul,

Each program is different so there really isn't a way to convert one file to the other. I'd suggest copying and pasting the information instead of simply retyping it all out. If you click and drag with the left button on your mouse, you can highlight text. After selecting the text you want to copy, right-click on your mouse and select “Copy”. In your new document, right-click then select “Paste” to paste the highlighted text into your new document. You might have to change a few things to make it look like the original but I think it's worth it.

Yes, if the copy of your resume that you emailed to yourself is still up to date, you can easily forward that email to whoever you wish. Just be sure to remove the “FWD” from the subject line and the copied information from the body of the email. I'm sure you know that forwarded emails don't seem very professional.

            PC Doctor

Until next time… happy computing!