Athol Cemeteries

Calvary Cemetery, Vine Street
Money raised by the Catholic Church purchased land on Vine Street for their own cemetery. The town assisted in roadway and other structural necessities. Burial records are sparse from 1881 to 1887. The cemetery operated until the opening of Gethsemane Cemetery in 1911.

Chestnut Hill Cemetery, Chestnut Hill Avenue
In 1778 Capt. Jonathan Kendall yielded a portion of his land to the town to serve as a burial place for area residents. In his conveyance of the plot, he reserved the right to graze sheep there. In 1844, his grandson gave the town the entire tract of land plus more. The earliest death date is 1786.

Doe Valley/Ellinwood Cemetery, Doe Valley Road
This land was obtained in 1870 for use as a burial ground. There were 74 gravestones counted here in 1978, 40 of which were toppled over and vandalized several years earlier.

Fay Cemetery, Conant Road
Although the large Fay family lived in the southern part of town, their earlier burials were in the Pleasant Street Cemetery. Around 1830 some arrangement was made by Joseph Fay for a small tract of land to be used as a place of interment, and in 1844, the plot was deeded to the town. The earliest grave noted in this small burial ground is dated 1834.

First Settlers' Cemetery/"Old Indian Cemetery", Hapgood Street
Some of the first settlers of Pequoig (Athol) were buried here but only a few names are known. It was in regular use for about 30 years beginning in 1741. It is unclear if any indigenous people were ever buried in this cemetery, the oldest cemetery in Athol.

Gethsemane Cemetery, Brookside Road
This Catholic Cemetery was created due to the growing Catholic population. Purchased from Joseph E. Waite in 1909. It was opened in 1911 with the burial of John Venette. There have been periodic expansions over the years, and it remains in use today.

Highland Cemetery, Hillside Terrace
Land for this cemetery was deeded to the town in 1843 after the old Pleasant St. Cemetery became crowded. The oldest stone is that of Calvin Humphrey, who died in 1773 and was reinterred alongside his father. A major expansion in 1949 provided for another 144 plots.

Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Mount Pleasant Street
This land was donated in 1745 to be used as a cemetery. It is second oldest cemetery in town. There were 466 gravestones counted in 1978, the earliest dated 1752.

Old Pleasant Street Cemetery, behind 96 Pleasant Street
Origins of this burial place are unknown. It was probably laid out between 1773 and 1776 and was the principal cemetery for 60 years.

Silver Lake Cemetery, Silver Lake Cemetery
One of the most used cemeteries, this land was purchased from Mersylvia Twitchell and Asa Hill in 1870. A committee of 6 was responsible for the full development of the 5+ acre plot which included hiring a landscape artist as well as civil engineers. The first body was interred in 1875 and the cemetery was formally dedicated in 1877. There were many expansions over the years and the number of graves exceeded 1,500 in 1986. This cemetery remains in use today.

Stratton Cemetery, off Adams Road
This is a private burial ground for the Stratton family. There are 80 marked graves and 20 unmarked. The earliest is dated 1840.

Athol Cemetery Burial Card Records for the following cemeteries are available on microfilm:

Chestnut Hill Cemetery (early 1800 - mid 1900)

Doe Valley/Ellinwood Cemetery (late 1800 - late 1900)

Mt. Pleasant Cemetery (mid 1700 - mid 1990)

New Sherborn/Stratton Cemetery (mid 1800 - early 1900)

Highland Cemetery (mid 1800 - late 1900)

Silver Lake Cemetery (mid 1800 - present)

Veterans Graves Registration - various cemeteries (beginning with Revolutionary War)

Click the Local History Home link for more information about using our microfilm machine and/or requesting assistance online.